Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Choosing a project

I've looked before at what's available to help the DIY builder and since then the options have increased. For between $80 and $200 a controller brain can be bought which gives up to 64 inputs. For a third of that a commercial controller can be bought and then customised. I decided to start with the Hale UMC32 which offered 32 inputs for $80 with USB connectivity and a nice software editor for setting up the inputs depending on what you have attached (buttons, slider-pots, rotary-pots etc.).

The focus of the controller would be to operate the Fabfilter One single oscillator soft-synth. I chose the Fabfilter because I use and love their other plugins and they have a great reputation for quality products.

The interface requires only 30 controls as opposed to my other preferences such as Native Instruments Massive or Arturia's Moog. Another important consideration is that there are no hidden menus or other funcitons that would be very difficult to implement on my controller. I wanted something that could, to all intents and purposes, work as a standalone device and not require reference to the computer screen. The next best thing to owning an actual vintage analogue synth.

No comments:

Post a Comment